Student Medication Administration
Parents requesting that medication be administered to their child while they are in school are required to follow the procedures listed below. These procedures apply to medications administered by school personnel as well as student self-administered medications. Medication will be administered in accordance with the guidelines outlined in the Michigan School Code and the Romeo Community Schools Board Policy.
The following guidelines must be followed:
- A current medication request form MUST be on file for all students receiving medication. A NEW form is required at the beginning of each school year.
- The medication request form is required for all medications including any over-the-counter drugs such as Tylenol or cough syrup/drops. A separate form is required for EACH medication.
- If your child's medication changes or the dosage changes we MUST have a new form signed by the parent and filled out by the physician. Medication changes will not be made with a note from a parent or physician.
- Medication must be sent to school in the CURRENT, pharmaceutically labeled and filled container and in the original container for over-the-counter medication.
- Parents are responsible for splitting tablets to provide correct dosage of medication.
- Medication for school hours must be delivered and picked up from school by an adult. At the end of the year, medication not picked up will be discarded.
By following the above guidelines, we ensure that medication is administered in a safe and careful manner.